Appam is traditional Kerala breakfast which is also popular in Tamilnadu . Appams are bowl-shaped thin pancakes made from fermented rice flour. They derive their shape from the small Appachatti ( the kadai they use it for making appams) in which they are cooked. These appams are made by fermented rice , coconut ,yeast .. after fermenting for few hours they r fried in a nonstick shallow pan with out oil by covering with lid…if the pan is non-stick one..then little oil can be applied on the base before pouring the batter.
They can be served with any spicy chutneys or non-veg curry’s or stews.
1 cup raw rice
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup grated coconut
yeast 1 tspn
sugar 1 tspn
Salt as required.
- Soak the raw rice in water for at least 4 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice until it is ground coarsely , now add grated coconut and cooked rice and ground it very fine paste by adding enough water. the consistency of this batter should be very thin than dosa batter. Remove the ground paste to a bowl.
- Now in a half cup warm water add a tea spoon of yeast and sugar and let it rest for 10 minutes , so that the yeast gets active.After 10 minutes..pour this yeast liquid into the appam batter bowl.. now let the batter rest for overnight..or at least 5 to 6 hours so that the batter ferments.
- While Making appams add enough salt to the batter , mix it well and make appams.
- Take a round bottomed small pan..u can use seasoning pan if u dont have appam pan. here i used seasoning pan.
- If the pan is a Non-stick one then no need to apply oil other wise apply very little oil in the kadai and rub it.Now pour a spoon full of batter in the kadai and rotate the kadai by handling its handle..do not use any spoon or ladle to rotate the batter as we use in dosa making. keep the stove in medium , cover the kadai with lid and let it cook for few minutes. when the Appam is done , u can see its edges leave the pan , now gently remove the appam from kadai..
- If u cant rotate the kadai(pan) by holding its handle..just leave the batter as it is after pouring it in the middle of the pan ,do not move the batter with any spoon..cover it and cook for few minutes till done..it will also be very tastier and soft.. where as the rotating ones will be little crispy.
These appams are served hot with some chetney or Non-veg curry.