This is the traditional way of cooking chicken curry in Andhra Pradesh..this is very simple yet tasty recipe…the main ingredient in this recipe is the ground masala paste..
chicken 1 lb / 1/2 kg
Onion 1 big , chopped finely
Tomato 1, finely chopped
green chillies 2
curry leaves few
Oil 5 to 6 tspns
red chilli powder 1 spoon
turmeric powder 1/2 spoon
salt 1 spoon
ginger garlic paste 1/2 tspn
cumin seeds 1/2 tspn ( jeelakarra)
mustard seeds 1/2 tspn ( avaalu)
Garam masala powder 1/2 tspn
Ingredients for making masala paste:-
ginger a small piece (one tspn)
garlic 4 cloves
coriander seeds (danialu) 1 spoon
cloves (lavaga moggalu) 3
cinnamon stick ( dalchina chekka) 2 each 1 inch in size
kuskus seeds (gasagasalu) 1 spoon
grated coconut 1 spoon
- First Marinate the chicken with salt,red chilli powder, turmeric powder n a spoon of ginger garlic paste n keep aside till we make other arrangements for the curry.
- Now chop the Onion,green chillies n tomatoes.
- Make paste with all the masala paste ingredients listed above…add little water in middle n make it to fine paste…this paste is the very essential part of this curry.
- Now heat the skillet with 5 to 6 spoons of oil…we are not going to add water in this curry,so the oil should be enough which gives good taste for non veg curries.
- When the oil is hot enough add cumin seeds n mustard seeds , when the mustard seeds starts spluttering add chopped onions,green chillies and curry leaves..saute the onions till they become transparent ( half cooked),now add the chopped tomatoes n saute for a minute till r cooked , now add the marinated chicken and the masala paste which we grinded before.. increase the flame to high for 3 to 4 minutes n cover the skillet with lid…so that the water from the chicken will be oozed out due to high pressure…take care not to burn the chicken.
- After 3 to 4 burn minutes..when u open the lid…u can see the water that is oozed out…now reduce the flame to sim n let it cook in low flame till the curry is done…stir the curry occasionally…when the curry is done , oil floats on the top n the chicken piece also become too soft n tasty..even the gravy tastes awesome..adjust the spices if necessary …
- Sprinkle little garam masala powder in the curry before offing the flame..Waite for 2 minutes n off the flame n garnish with coriander leaves if required.