Anabakaya/Sorakaya curry with milk added is one of my favorite dish from my moms kitchen..At my parents home, they usually wont buy vegetables ..almost all the mostly used vegetables are grown in our backyard..they just pluck the very fresh vegges from the plant and cook them…I remember mom used to make this curry in the evenings…i used to be the first r second one to eat early in the evening..so used to Waite for the rice to be done…as soon as the rice is done ,i used to have my dinner by 7pm with hot hot rice,ghee and this tasty curry ..hmmm…now i am cooking this curry with the same taste…but i still miss those days…love u mom…miss u
serves : 4 persons || cooking time: 20-30 mints ||cuisine:andhra
Sorakaya/Anabakaya/bottle gourd 1
Onion 1,medium size
Milk 1 glass
Green chilies 2 or 3 (based on the spiciness of chilies)
curry leaves few
turmeric powder 1/4tspn
salt n red chili powder to taste
dry red chili 1
garlic cloves 2 , crushed
cumin seeds 1/2 tspn ( jeela karra/jeera)
mustard seeds 1/2 tspn (avalu)
chana dal 1 tspn
urad dal 1tspn
- Peel the bottle gourd with peeler, wash it off and chop into small pieces..chop the onions and green chillies
- Heat a skillet with 2 tspns of oil..when the oil is hot enough add crushed garlic cloves and saute it for few seconds till the nice aroma of garlic comes out..take care not to burn them..now add the remaining talimpu/Seasoning ingredients and saute till mustard seeds pops up.
- Now add chopped green chillies,onions and curry leaves,..saute for a while till the onions become soft..now add the chopped sorakaya/bottle gourd pieces and stir it well so that the tadka gets mixed with this vegetable pieces..now add enough salt and turmeric powder…stir it once and cover with lid ,let it cook for 5 mints..flame should be on sim to medium.
- After 5 mints..when u open the lid n see , water will be oozed from the vegetable n curry will cooking in that water..in case if the vegetable is not very fresh,water may not be oozed..in that case add a half a cup of water in the curry ,stir it well n cook it till the vegetable is cooked n become soft..cook it by covering with lid.
- When the curry is cooked…v can add milk. before adding milk mix a pinch of cooking soda in the mix,stir it well and pour the milk in the curry…so that the milk wont break its structure.After adding milk..the curry should not be cooked for long..coz it may break the milk though v add cooking soda..so cook it for 5 to 7 mints…n off the flame..
- It goes well with rice as well as roti.
- In this curry red chilli powder is not added to the curry…because as we added milk if we also add red chilli powder the curry will turn red in colour…if we dont add red chilli powder the curry will be in creamish color…but of course its ur wish abt the color of the curry
- After adding milk the spiciness will be reduced a bit..so keep this in mind while adding green chiilies.
- If the vegetable is very tender non need to peel of the skin.